3 Steps to Take for Committing to Losing Weight and Getting Fit
Did you make a commitment to lose weight or get in shape? Haven’t you made this commitment before? Most of us set up unrealistic goals that are too much, too hard and too fast! Success doesn’t happen in a quantum leap. It happens from staying focused and taking small steps towards your goal each day. Set yourself up for success by setting the right goal and creating a plan to achieve that goal.
Let’s start by looking at a goal you might have this year.
My goal for this year is to:
- Why is this important to you?
- Why is this goal any different from those in the past?
- Why will you be able to succeed this time?
- What obstacles did you have before when setting a similar goal?
- How will you overcome these obstacles should they be set in front of you this time?
When I’m doing goal setting, I first create the vision of what I want. Then I create the plan and then I schedule it. Because if the steps to get me there are not on my schedule, they won’t happen.
It’s also important to look at the obstacles that will get in your way.
- You don’t have time
- You don’t like it
- You’re too tired
Here are some ways to look at those challenges…
- You don’t have time. If you await the time to find you, it will never happen. You have to plan your exercise and healthful eating just like everything else in your day. When you book appointments for yourself, you always leave x amount of time for essentials like showering, brushing teeth, etc. Now, you need to think of exercise in the same light. Find a way to schedule it like you would any other appointment. Also, schedule time to get to the market regularly and to set aside time to pre-prepare many healthful meals and snacks. It’s when your pantry is bare that you actually make the poorest eating choices.
- You don’t like it. Well, you must be doing the wrong thing. Exercise comes in all different packages. It does not have to be a gym workout. Go for a walk, a bike ride, play a sport. Just move. You actually have no idea how good you can feel until you start exercising.
- You’re too tired. You already know what I’m going to say. You will have more energy and you will get better sleep when you exercise and eat right.
This year, plan differently. Set yourself up for success by choosing a few goals that are truly important to you and creating a plan to make them happen!