Mom & Daughter Making Money with Homebased Jewelry Business
Lauren Earnest is a mom and creator living in Carlsbad, California. She is the owner of Feather & Rose, a jewelry business for women and littles. She specializes in creating gemstone and gold-filled jewelry that has special meaning and affirmation, and is known for her mother-daughter bracelet sets.
We asked her to answer a few questions about how she launched her homebased jewelry business with her daughter. Here’s what Lauren had to say…
- How did you turn your love for jewelry making into a business?
- I started Feather & Rose when I was looking for a fun activity to do with my daughter. Jewelry making was something that we both enjoyed, and having matching jewelry was a fun way to feel connected. From there, Feather & Rose was born!
- Many of your pieces include positive affirmations. Words are powerful. What do you hope to accomplish with the words moms wear when they put on your jewelry?
- We believe in the power of words of affirmation as a means to build confidence and self-worth. When I first became a mom I had a difficult time adjusting to my new role – I questioned my every move and felt like I was doing it all wrong. I truly leaned into the affirming words of others and positive self-talk to build my confidence as a new mom. We want every female to recognize her unique talents, to trust in her abilities, and to know that she is precious and beloved.
- Can you tell us more about the pieces that you create?
- We have layering necklaces, stacking bracelets, and earrings. We are most known for our mother-daughter bracelet sets. I handcraft each piece at my home in Carlsbad. I use only gold-filled chains, links and clasps as these will not tarnish or irritate skin. I use a lot of gemstone materials which I love working with because of their healing properties and special meaning. The gemstone’s meaning helps me create the affirmation or note of encouragement that is included with each piece.
- What are your business goals?
- Our mission is to see females flourish by helping them cultivate confidence, joy, and connection in their lives. We also want to support women on a global scale. 10% of all sales is donated to Carry the Future, a non-profit that provides critical aide to refugee families in need including supplying baby carriers, newborn supplies, and funding projects that create women-friendly spaces.
- Finally, what fashion tips do you have for us moms who could use a little
update to our style?
1) Invest in a good pair of jeans – swap the leggings for a pair of jeans that are comfortable but fit you in all the right places.
2) Accessorize – throw on a pendant necklace or a cute hat, it goes a long way!
3) Layer with a cardigan – keep on the casual T, but a nice cardigan suddenly makes you look a little more put together.